If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, January 30, 2015

Daifuku 草莓大福 (Strawberry with red bean paste and mochi)

During my trip to Japan the other day, I some how missed to try out this delicious wagashi (和菓子) Daifuku 大福. Until recently I use leftover mochi from making red bean and mochi bread buns made into Daifuku. It tasted soooo good, until my family finished all at the same day, and requested me to make it again the next day.



 
Never think these combination of mochi, red bean paste and fresh strawberry, can be taste so heavenly!!

 
Nice to serve this as dessert during CNY re-union dinner. I am sure it will impress your family too.

Daifuku 草莓大福 (Strawberry with red bean paste and mochi) 

100g glutinous rice flour
40g caster sugar
160g water 

200g red bean paste, store-bought or homemade (refer recipe here)
6 strawberries, rinse, dry and remove the hull
potato starch for dusting 

Method

  1. Add glutinous rice flour and sugar in a mixing bowl, slowly pour in water then stir to mix well.
  2. Pour batter in a glass bowl, steam over boiling water over high heat for 15mins.
  3. While steaming the mochi, wrap the strawberries with red bean paste. Set aside.
  4. Prepare a big tray, sift potato starch on the tray, transfer warm mochi from steaming bowl to the tray. Dust more potato starch on top, then use a silicone scraper, equally divide into 6 portions.
  5. Apply some potato starch on your hands and flatten and expand each mochi into round shape. Put more potato starch on your hand if you feel mochi is sticky to be handled. Once ready, wipe off excess potato starch.
  6. Place red bean paste covered strawberry on top of it, with the tip facing down. Covering the strawberry with mochi from all sides, twist and seal, to form into nice round shape. Repeat the rest.
  7. Store in a container and keep inside the fridge before enjoy within 2 days.
Recipe source: adapted from Just One Cookbook with minor changes, by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover

12 comments:

Cat Chee said...

哦,好想吃!!

Fern @ To Food With Love said...

Looks tempting! I just ate one last week, so good. I would love to make this, if only my kids liked red bean :p

Victoria Bakes said...

daifuku.. daifuku.. one of my favourites.. it is just so sweet and pretty ^^

Victoria Bakes said...

daifuku.. daifuku.. one of my favourites.. it is just so sweet and pretty ^^

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Sonia! Your Strawberry Daifuku look FANTASTIC!!!! It'll be soon strawberry season and I can't wait to make them this year again. SUPER delicious. It's perfect combination of sweet anko and refreshing strawberry! Thank you for trying my recipe! xoxo

Kitchen Corner said...

你很 geng 勒, 老师! Nowadays... i can't stop myself sitting in front of the TV every morning Monday to Wednesday. You have become my idol chef la....

婉婉午茶 said...

Soooo tempting!!nom nom nom

teo ai li said...

Hi Sonia, these mochi are extremely delicious! However, i did encounter some problems while making them....the red bean paste could not wrap around the strawberry even though I dry them with kitchen towel after washing. Also, I could not "close" the mochi after wrapping. Can you advise me what went wrong? Thanks for your help!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Teo ai li, Yes they are indeed very yum ! Did you use store bought or homemade red bean paste? If you use homemade one, then you maybe can add more cooking oil to soften the paste so it is easy to wrap. You have to pinch and seal the mochi then only it can close.

Anonymous said...

What kind of glutinous rice flour? Follow glutinous rice flour from japan?

Unknown said...

Hi Sonia, this looks so good and I'll definitely be trying this recipe. Can I know if the potato starch for dusting need to be "cooked". Thanks

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Chiek Wee Ong, don't need to cook , it will not taste raw.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin